IPS Presidential Installation Ceremony: Kolkata, WB
ANCIPS 2020: Kolkata, WB
IPS Foundation Day: Patna, Bihar
NoticeIPS 2022 elections are currently ongoing. Vote today!
The Indian Psychiatric Society (IPS) is the oldest & largest organization of Psychiatrists & allied mental health professionals of India.
The IPS commands an extensive national network, with 5 major Zonal Branches, 29 State Branches, & greater than 80 sub-sections.
The IPS annual academic calendar is extensive & exhaustive. All IPS events are now published in the Events Page of the website.
IPS President’s Message
Dr Gautam Saha,
President, Indian Psychiatric Society,
Director, Brain Neuropsychiatric Institute and Research Center, Kolkata, WB.
The year 2020 has been unprecedented, and is historic in moments of crisis and challenges. The COVID-19 pandemic saw unparalleled suffering in all spheres of human life and with it an explosion of mental health issues. With the pandemic still continuing, road ahead in 2021 might be long and the climb may be steep. Though we may not get all we dream in one year, we promise in 2021 to build the roads and bridges in our united path forward. I appeal to each and every one of the fellows IPS members to deliver their own action plan for the coming year.
To this regard the IPS has also formed a One Year Action Plan for Indian Psychiatric Society ( 2021 – 2022)
The 6 point agenda of the plan includes
1. Education, Training and Research
2. Collaboration and Partnership with Government and other Agencies
3. Advocacy of Mental Health
4. Collaboration with International Psychiatric Associations
5. Suicide Help Line
6. Liaison with Other Medical Specialties …Read More
News & Notices
Notice For Annual General Body Meeting – 24th Jan, 2020, Kolkata
IPS Amendments- 2019 – Mysore (Archieved)
Action 1: Education, Training and Research:
A separate Academic Wing of IPS, with selected subcommittees will look into these areas.
- Calendar of activities of the IPS
- Digital CME – Ongoing psychiatric training
- Post graduate training – Ensure standards.
- Undergraduate training – Recognition in UG training
- Research and Education Foundation: Develop National Registry & promote multi-centric studies…
Action 2: Collaboration and Partnership with Government and other Agencies:
• Collaborate with the Government and policymakers to address the mental health issues, including stigma associated with mental illnesses.
• Increase reservation for people with mental illnesses under the disability provisions.
• Working with Media Groups – Collaborating with a popular TV / radio channel to dedicate 2 hours per week / on one show related to mental health.
Action 3: Advocacy of Mental Health
The most appropriate way of delivering efficient, cost- effective, streamlined, patient and carer friendly services will be to Advocate for the mental health services.
IPS will advocate on all facets of mental health.
Action 4: Collaboration with International Psychiatric Associations
IPS will be working closely with the following bodies –
World Psychiatric Association, Royal College of Psychiatry, UK; British Indian Psychiatric Association; World Federation of Societies of Biological Psychiatry; International Alliance for Mental Health; Royal Australian and New Zealand College of Psychiatrists; Indo – American Psychiatric Association
Action 5: National Suicide Help Line
Suicide is one of the most immediate and urgent action plans that the IPS President wished to achieve at the start of his tenure. We are losing too many people in our country to suicide and there are 381 completed suicides every day. This translates to 16 suicides every hour or 1 suicide every 225 second. Further, for every completed suicide, there are 20 more who have attempted, which means every day there are 7620 families affected by a person at home who try to commit suicide.
Action 6: Liaison with Other Medical Specialties
IPS wishes to develop
• Certificate Courses for Non-Psychiatric Medical Professionals on different Mental Health Topics. This will train professionals in other specialties to assess identify mental health issues at an early stage.
• Liaison Psychiatry services will be developed specially focusing on services with Internal Medicine, Community Medicine and Pediatric Medicine.
The IPS Archive
All notices, announcement and events of the IPS are now archived for future reference and are availabe in a searchable format for registered members of the society.